Featured Post

A Dedication.

  These words are for the artists and dreamers  Who want a slippery God, Not the stone one nailed permanently to a cross In old buildings, t...

Friday, March 11, 2011

day 3 - where is god?

Yesterday, one of my Jr. High youth at our after school coffee house hours said that he thinks that God exists, but also that God more or less gave up on earth and humanity for the time being and left. He explained that he still believes that God watches over us, but that God hasn't really worked miracles or acted on earth in the last few thousand years. This led to a really powerful discussion about how God acts in the world, the truth of the Bible, and what makes something a miracle. While one of my youth felt certain that God doesn't work miracles, I left the conversation feeling certain that God is so deeply present in and around us, and that miracles are happening every day.

Here are a few of the ways that I see the Divine moving:

the willingness of young people to wrestle with deep theological questions.
the passion and creativity of the high school students I work with.
the love of my husband.
the enduring symbol of the mark of ashes.
the laughter and imagination of children.
music that awakens my soul.
the peace that comes from the practice of walking meditation.
my talented, loving, supportive, incredible friends.
the communion we share each Sunday through the eucharist.
the amazing young adults who volunteer their time week after week to help with youth ministry.
the way the light looks alive as it dances on the bay.
the work being done by city of refuge, glide, and other inner city ministries.
the power of a poem to transport and transform its reader.

That's just the short list of infinite ways I see God working. I know that during lent, as I continue to pray with others and share this journey that I will find countless miracles to add to this list.

No comments: