Featured Post

A Dedication.

  These words are for the artists and dreamers  Who want a slippery God, Not the stone one nailed permanently to a cross In old buildings, t...

Saturday, November 22, 2008

for the love of cooking...


Tonight, Kyle and I settled in for an evening of football, but you won't find any of the typical "game food" here (chips, hot dogs, etc.). Instead, Kyle made me homemade sushi - spicy tuna rolls to be exact. They were wonderfully delicious. One of my favorite recipes in Kyle's repertoire.

Both of us love to cook. There's so much joy in going to the grocery store, bringing home fresh ingredients, and creating something from scratch from the bounty of the produce section. (seriously, i could wander the produce section for hours -- I always stumble upon fruits and veggies I haven't even heard of, and am amazed at all the goodness that comes from the earth). Not only is cooking at home cheaper and healthier than eating out, but its so enjoyable. I love putting on music (my favorite cooking tunes are the stylingsof Billie Holiday), the rhythm of chopping vegetables on the cutting board, and the scent of sizzling spices filling up my apartment. All stress and busy thoughts seem to float away as life slows down in the kitchen.

Sadly, the last few weeks this time in the kitchen had fallen to the wayside, as schedules were filled with papers, work and other things. We've been eating out more than staying in. I'm excited that school is winding down and we will be on break for holidays. It means more time to meander the aisles at the grocery store and try out new recipes and old favorites. I'm especially excited about baking some of my favorite cookies, pies and other desserts for the holiday season. 

I stumbled on to this article  on the NPR website (two signs I'm a huge nerd: I eat sushi while watching football, and read NPR on Saturday night). It lists some of the top cookbooks of this year. Even just the little blurbs about the books made my mouth water. I definitely plan to add one or two of these to my christmas list. All I can really say about it is mmmmmmmm.

Unfortunately cooking has one dangerous downside: a sink full of dirty dishes, pots, and pans. I guess every joy has its price :)

No comments: