Featured Post

A Dedication.

  These words are for the artists and dreamers  Who want a slippery God, Not the stone one nailed permanently to a cross In old buildings, t...

Sunday, December 2, 2012

advent 1: awake to everything.

This Advent I am challenging myself to spend time daily reflecting on scripture through word and image. By the end of Advent I hope to have created a kind of half breed advent calendar and lectio-divina art project. I'll be sharing these images and short poems here on this blog. I hope you'll join me in this journey of expectation and incarnation, and I invite you to share your own reflections.

"Besides this you know what hour it is, how it is full time now for you to wake from sleep. For salvation is nearer to us now than when we became believers;the night is far gone, the day is near. Let us then lay aside the works of darkness and put on the armour of light; let us live honourably as in the day, not in revelling and drunkenness, not in debauchery and licentiousness, not in quarrelling and jealousy. Instead, put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." -Romans 13:11-14

Armor of Light

Winter's gray
has settled like dust
over everything
and with it
the long hours
of crisp cold dark.
We cover ourselves
layer by layer
for protection
from all that we dread
and all that we fear,
including ourselves
and each other.
Awake, awake
you say,
awake to everything,
your voice crackling
with light and hope.
And I begin again
to strip away these
useless layers--
strong and stubborn as steal--
So I might wrap myself
in the soft warmth
of your presence
and wear it like a second skin.

2 comments:

Lisa Trinter said...

Love the mystery. Love the crispness of the autumn rolling into winter for that is when my shelter seems most cozy. Soon, after being in the warmth of my blanket, I venture out to feel the coolness of the day, the crunch of crisp leaves before the arrival of the season's first blanket of fresh snow. For all this I anticipate and am so GRATEFUL!

- love the mystery - said...

Mom, this is a beautiful reflection! I love the reminder that when the crisp cold weather comes, that is when we feel most cozy. So beautiful.