Featured Post

A Dedication.

  These words are for the artists and dreamers  Who want a slippery God, Not the stone one nailed permanently to a cross In old buildings, t...

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

snow day.







I love snow. In all my complaining about it getting colder as winter sets in, I had almost forgotten how truly magical winter can be. Snow paints everything in this soft, sparkly white. And suddenly our whole world looks new. It feels like we are getting a blank canvas, a fresh start. Its really amazing.

And something about being out in the snow makes me feel like such a child. It brings back memories of growing up in the snow belt in Ohio, when school would be cancelled due to freezing weather or multiple feet of snow. And it seemed like we'd spend hours upon hours outside no matter how cold it was. We'd layer multiple pairs of socks and gloves and pants, and go out in our thickest winter coats, all to build snow forts, go sledding and throw snow balls. By the time we came inside for hot chocolate we couldn't feel our fingers or toes, but it was so worth it.

As an adult, I spend way too much time inside. Choosing not to go outside either because I'm too busy, or because its too cold, or too hot, or too rainy. It's like at some point in life, we forget how to play and enjoy this magical world.

Well, this week I went on a walk through the snow, and remembered the magic. I hope you are enjoying the magic too. Let yourself play a little. It's good for the world. :)

"I am younger each year at the first snow. When I see it, suddenly, in the air, all little and white and moving; then I am in love again and very young and I believe in everything." -Anne Sexton

1 comment:

Emily Lorraine said...

Thanks for reminding me how beautiful snow can be. Sometimes I am a Scrooge...;) You help me remember the good. Thanks Katie.
Love Ya! Em