Featured Post

A Dedication.

  These words are for the artists and dreamers  Who want a slippery God, Not the stone one nailed permanently to a cross In old buildings, t...

Friday, February 22, 2013

Lent 9: poem for the journey.

One way of thinking about the lenten season is as a journey into the wilderness. Today, I want to share an excerpt from one of my favorite journey poems with you. These words beckon their readers to let go of our need for order and sense, to embrace, instead, the freedom of wild exploration. They remind me that the wildness of the landscape, awakens a wildness in myself. May these words from poet A.R. Ammons bless your journey.

Corsons Inlet by A.R. Ammons

I went for a walk over the dunes again this morning
to the sea,
then turned right along
the surf
rounded a naked headland
and returned
along the inlet shore:
it was muggy sunny, the wind from the sea steady and high,
crisp in the running sand,
some breakthroughs of sun
...the walk liberating, I was released from forms,
from the perpendiculars,
straight lines, blocks, boxes, binds
of thought
into the hues, shadings, rises, flowing bends and blends of sight:
I allow myself eddies of meaning:
yield to a direction of significance
running
like a stream through the geography of my work:
you can find
in my sayings
swerves of action
like the inlet’s cutting edge:
there are dunes of motion,
organizations of grass, white sandy paths of remembrance
in the overall wandering of mirroring mind:
but Overall is beyond me: is the sum of these events
I cannot draw, the ledger I cannot keep, the accounting
beyond the account:
in nature there are few sharp lines:
there are areas of primrose
more or less dispersed;
disorderly orders of bayberry; between the rows of dunes,
irregular swamps of reeds,
...I have reached no conclusions, have erected no boundaries,
shutting out and shutting in, separating inside
from outside: I have
drawn no lines:
as manifold events of sand
change the dune’s shape that will not be the same shape tomorrow,
so I am willing to go along, to accept the becoming
thought, to stake off no beginnings or ends, establish no walls...
the moon was full last night: today, low tide was low:
black shoals of mussels exposed to the risk of air
and, earlier, of sun,
waved in and out with the waterline, waterline inexact,
caught always in the event of change.
risk is full: every living thing in
siege: the demand is life, to keep life: the small
white blacklegged egret, how beautiful,
quietly stalks and spears the shallows, darts to shore to stab—what?
blue tiny flowers on a leafless weed: carapace of crab: snail shell:
pulsations of order
in the bellies of minnows: orders swallowed,
broken down, transferred through membranes
to strengthen larger orders: but in the large view, no
lines or changeless shapes: the working in and out, together
and against, of millions of events: this,
so that I make
no form of formlessness:
... I will try
to fasten into order enlarging grasps of disorder, widening
scope, but enjoying the freedom that
Scope eludes my grasp, that there is no finality of vision,
that I have perceived nothing completely,
that tomorrow a new walk is a new walk.

No comments: